CALLALOO VOODOO. Alimento Base: Spinach or callaloo greens, Brown the crab meat in the oil with the scallions, 1 teaspoon of the garlic, and the crumbled thyme. In a stockpot, brown the diced bacon. Wilt the spinach in the rendered bacon fat. Add...
- 2 pounds fresh crab meat
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 scallions including the green tops, minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 branches fresh thyme crumbled, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 pound slab bacon cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 pound fresh spinach or callaloo greens cleaned with stems removed
- 1 pound okra topped, tailed, and cut into rounds
- 7 cups water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 scotch bonnet-type chili pricked with a fork
- Juice of 3 limes
Elaboración paso a paso
- Brown the crab meat in the oil with the scallions, 1 teaspoon of the garlic, and the crumbled thyme.
- In a stockpot, brown the diced bacon.
- Wilt the spinach in the rendered bacon fat.
- Add the okra, cover with the water, and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- When done, add the crab meat, remaining garlic, and chili that has been pricked with a fork.
- Continue to cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When done, add the lime juice, whisk it through thoroughly, and serve hot.