TAWA-TAWAS (SWEET FRITTERS)
TAWA-TAWAS (SWEET FRITTERS). Alimento Base: Honey, In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Then, add butter and mix well. Add the eggs, slightly beaten. Then add water or milk, little by little, and mixing very well until getting a...
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water or milk
- 2 cups butter or oil to fry
- 1 cup cane honey
Elaboración paso a paso
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Then, add butter and mix well.
- Add the eggs, slightly beaten. Then add water or milk, little by little, and mixing very well until getting a smooth dough.
- Place the dough on a table, slightly sprinkled with flour, and knead it. Let it rest for ten minutes, covered with a dish cloth or towel.
- On the table, place half the dough and stretch it out until it becomes very thin (about a tenth of an inch). Cut the dough into small rhombus-shaped pieces, 11/2 inches wide. Then cover them with a cloth. Repeat the process with the remaining half of dough.
- In a large pan, heat oil at a high temperature. Fry several pieces simultaneously. Once they are golden on one side, turn them over until they are golden on the other side too.
- Remove the tawa-tawas from the frying pan, drain them and place them on a paper sheet to absorb oil. Finally, place them in tray and pour cane honey over them. If wanted, sprinkle with fine sugar too.