PATACONES TICOS (COSTA RICAN FRIED PLANTAINS)
PATACONES TICOS (COSTA RICAN FRIED PLANTAINS). Alimento Base: Plantains, Peel plantains completely. Slice plantains into 1/2 inch rounds. Heat oil in sauce pan until almost boiling. CAREFULLY place a handful of plantain rounds into hot oil, leaving...
- 2 green plantains
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pinch salt to taste
Elaboración paso a paso
- Peel plantains completely.
- Slice plantains into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Heat oil in sauce pan until almost boiling.
- CAREFULLY place a handful of plantain rounds into hot oil, leaving them in until light brown, about 2 minutes.
- CAREFULLY remove plantain rounds from hot oil with slotted spoon (preferably metal) and place on a cutting board covered in parchment paper.
- Plantain pieces should be on only half of the parchment paper. Fold second half of parchment paper over them, and with a second board or other hard, flat surface press firmly on the paper-covered plantain rounds. This can also be done using a metal tortilla press, if available.
- The rounds should now be smushed-looking, yet still intact.
- With slotted spoon, replace pieces of plantain in the oil until golden brown.
- Remove pieces with slotted spoon and place on paper towel. Pieces should be slightly crispy.
- Repeat with another handful of rounds, until all have been cooked.
- Sprinkle with salt, to taste.