PRISTINOS (PUMPKIN FRITTERS)
PRISTINOS (PUMPKIN FRITTERS). Alimento Base: Pumpkin, Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Add the cheese. Work the butter into the mixture with your fingers, then the pumpkin with a fork. The pumpkin should supply enough moisture...
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Oil or lard for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 pound 1/2 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- Cinnamon Syrup: 2 cups dark brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked mashed West Indian pumpkin (calabaza)
- 1- inch piece of stick cinnamon
Elaboración paso a paso
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Add the cheese.
- Work the butter into the mixture with your fingers, then the pumpkin with a fork. The pumpkin should supply enough moisture to make a soft but not sticky dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured board and roll out to a 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut it into strips 1 inch wide and 6 inches long. Form each strip into a ring, pinching the ends lightly together.
- Deep fry in hot oil or lard (350 F to 365 F.) until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with cinnamon syrup.
- Cinnamon Syrup: In a saucepan combine the sugar with 1 cup water and the cinnamon stick.
- Stir the mixture to dissolve the sugar and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes
- Discard the cinnamon stick.