MAJAO (RICE AND MEAT DISH)
MAJAO (RICE AND MEAT DISH). Alimento Base: Charque salted beef, In a large pot, pour the five cups of water and set it to boil over a high heat. Once it is boiling add charque and let it cook until it is tender. Remove from heat and shred the meat....
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 pound charque dry and salty meat
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup onion without washing, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt if charque is not very salty
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 seeds urucú soaked in 1/2 water cup paprika will also work
- 1/2 cup water or broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- To serve:
- 1/2 fried plantain per person
- 2 slices yucca also known as cassava or tapioca per person, cooked and fried
- 1 fried egg per person
Elaboración paso a paso
- In a large pot, pour the five cups of water and set it to boil over a high heat. Once it is boiling add charque and let it cook until it is tender. Remove from heat and shred the meat.
- Add rice and salt to the water where the meat was cooked. Let it cook over a medium heat for twenty-five minutes more or less, until the rice is well cooked, but not dry.
- In a small casserole heat 1/4 cup of oil over medium heat. Add the shredded meat and stir-fry until golden. Remove from heat.
- In a casserole, add the remaining 1/4 cup of oil and heat it over high heat. Add the onion and stir-fry for a while. Add tomato, urucú, water or broth, and salt. Let cook for five minutes. Then add the fried shredded meat and mix.
- Finally, add the meat mixture to the rice pot. Mix everything.
- For good results, the whole mixture should not be dry. If necessary, add some water or broth.