HABICHUELAS ROJAS (DOMINICAN RED BEANS)
HABICHUELAS ROJAS (DOMINICAN RED BEANS). Alimento Base: Red beans, In a saucepan over a low flame, add the strips of bacon or bacon pieces and cook for 6 minutes (so the grease or fat can burn off). Increase the flame so that the bacon can crisp...
- 2 cans of water
- 3 strips of bacon
- 1/2 chicken broth cube cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon of powdered seasoning
- 3 cherry tomatoes without the skin and cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano optional
- 2 cloves of whole garlic crushed in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of salt
- 1/2 green or sweet red pepper chopped or diced
- 1/2 medium sized onion chopped or diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 small pieces of aullama or pumpkin
- 1 can of red or black beans strain off the water
- 2 coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon of tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
Elaboración paso a paso
- In a saucepan over a low flame, add the strips of bacon or bacon pieces and cook for 6 minutes (so the grease or fat can burn off).
- Increase the flame so that the bacon can crisp slightly.
- Remove bacon and reserve aside for later.
- In the same saucepan, add crushed garlic, salt and pepper, onion, chicken broth cube (which you will break up to a powder with your fingers).
- Also add the tomato paste, with powdered seasoning, oregano, coriander and aullama or pumpkin.
- Over a low to medium flame, blend together for about 1 minute.
- Add the beans and 2 cans of water.
- Cover the pot and cook over low to medium flame for about 20 minutes.
- Next remove the pumpkin or aullama so it can be crushed with a fork or other type of utensil.
- The pumpkin or aullama should be crushed into a puree type of consistency.
- Finally, return the aullama or pumpkin to the pot and cook it for about 18 minutes.
- Add the bacon you have prepared earlier and serve over rice.