CHIPAS (MANDIOCA BREAD)
CHIPAS (MANDIOCA BREAD). Alimento Base: Cassava starch, Sift starch into bowl and mix in cheeses. In a pot, bring milk, oil, and salt to a simmer. Little by little pour liquid into starch and cheese mix until dough becomes very lumpy. Let it sit...
- 1 kg cassava yuca, or mandioca starch
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup of vegetable oil or butter
- 2 cup grated fontina or gruyere and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 5 eggs
Elaboración paso a paso
- Sift starch into bowl and mix in cheeses.
- In a pot, bring milk, oil, and salt to a simmer. Little by little pour liquid into starch and cheese mix until dough becomes very lumpy. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Add the eggs, one or two at a time, mixing well by hand, until a smooth texture is achieved. Add milk if the dough is not soft enough. Let dough sit for 1/2 hour.
- Shape the dough into little ping pong size balls by rolling in your hands.
- Place on a well greased baking sheet (or on baking sheet with parchment paper).
- Top balls with some grated parmesan to add a golden colour once baked.
- Bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees until the chipas are slightly golden.
- Note: Freshly baked chipas will have a soft doughy center while still warm. Do not think that the dough is raw and undercooked, when in fact it should be cooked if the outside is golden, that's how it is supposed to be.