PELAU. Alimento Base: Rice, Before cooking the rice, wash rice until water looks clear and then put aside for later. Soak chicken in lime and water or flour (for 5 to 7 minutes) to release fat from chicken, and wash the chicken until it is no longer...
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound of chicken
- 1 cup of pigeon peas
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of ginger
- 1/4 cup of butter or margarine
- Brown sugar to brown chicken/browning
- Black pepper/hot pepper
- 3 to 4 cups of rice
- Tomato ketchup
- Tomatoes diced -scallions
Elaboración paso a paso
- Before cooking the rice, wash rice until water looks clear and then put aside for later.
- Soak chicken in lime and water or flour (for 5 to 7 minutes) to release fat from chicken, and wash the chicken until it is no longer slimy. Season with the salt & black pepper, tomatoes, garlic, scallions, thyme, ginger (and chicken marinade, if you so desire but this is really not necessary).
- Now brown the sugar in a heated pot until the sugar begins to bubble. When this is done, add remainder of seasoning from the bowl onto the chicken, cover and let cook for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add pigeon peas and the coconut milk and cook for another 10 min.
- After this is done, add the rice, making sure there is enough liquid in the pot to cover the rice. Add margarine, salt to taste and let rice cook for 10 minutes.
- Before it is half way done add ketchup and cook until done, you will know if rice is done when the liquid has evaporated and the rice is soft to touch. Add some mango chutney or greens and sliced tomatoes along with cucumbers.