SOPA DE PATAS OR MONDONGO (A CLASSIC SALVADORAN SOUP)
- 1 large cows feet or 2 small ones
- 12 cups of cold water
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 green peppers
- 2 tablespoons of achiote (annatto) or beef broth
- Aromatic herbs
- 4 tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag of Salvadoran spices know as “relajo“ (mixture of spices such as sesame, chile peppers, pipián seeds, cloves, oregano, etc.)
- 1/2 pound of cooked cows stomach (optional)
- 3 chayotes
- 1/2 cabbage
- 1 large yucca
- 3 pipianes
- 3 corn on the cob
- 1 plantain (optional)
- Bread powder to thicken the soup (optional)
Wash the cows feet with lemon and salt, leave for 15 minutes. Flush again until the odor is removed, if it persists, soak in boiling water as many times as necessary until it has a white appearance.
In the pressure cooker put the feet with enough water and add tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, aromatic herbs, salt, pepper and annatto.
Cover, place on medium or high heat until steam starts coming out, put the pressure regulator and when it starts to vibrate turn down the fire for an hour.
Separately, brown the “relajo”. Once it is a golden color add to the water that has been cooked with the entrails and the feet of the cow.
If you want mondongo soup just add 1/2 pound of beef offal very well washed over low heat for one hour.
When soft, remove the cow’s feet and let it cool and extract the nerves. Put back into the soup; add the vegetables starting with the cassava and cabbage, then the chayotes and the pipian.
Depending on the amount of water you use, you can thicken the soup with ground green plantains or bread powder. You may add Worcestershire sauce or soy milk.
Note: If not using pressure cooker, it will take approximately 3 hours too cook. Cook over low heat.
Total Votes: 548
- Main ingredient: Cow's feet
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation time: 120 min.
- Number of diners: 10
- Season: All year
- Country: El Salvador
- Typical of: El Salvador
- Microwave: No
- Celiac: No
- Aphrodisiac: No
- Thermomix: No
- Children: No
- Light: No
- Vegetarian: No
- Receta de matzá sabrosa
- Receta de pletzalej de cebolla
- Receta de oznei haman
- Masitas secas para pésaj
- Receta levivot de januka (tortitas de papa)
- Receta de kugel de matzá
- Receta de kneidlaj de harina de matzá
- Receta de kibbe neye
- Receta de jaroset para pésag
- Receta de hummus de jolón