ARROZ CON MARISCOS (PERUVIAN RICE WITH SHELLFISH)
- 1/2 pound medium-sized shrimps, about 18, shelled and deveined (reserve shells for shrimp stock)
- 1/2 pound scallops, if small, left whole; if large, halved
- 12 cherrystone or littleneck clams
- 12 oysters
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fresh hot peppers, preferably red, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 or 2 tablespoons fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 4 cups shrimp stock (see the recipe below)
- Shrimp stock ingredients:
- Shrimp shells
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 slice onion or a sliced scallion
- 1 spring thyme or 1/8 teaspoon dried
- 3 or 4 peppercorns
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup liquid from the oysters and clams
- Salt to taste
Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onion, garlic, and pepper strips until the onion is soft. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the onion mixture to a casserole.
There should be about 2 tablespoons oil left in the skillet. Add a little more if necessary. Add the rice and saute until the rice has absorbed the oil, taking care not to let it brown.
Transfer the rice to a casserole. Add the shrimp stock, bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and all the liquid absorbed, about 20 minutes.
Add the coriander and the shrimps, scallops, and clams, folding them well into the rice. Cook, covered, over low heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the shrimps have turned pink and lost their translucent look.
Add the oysters, folding them into the rice and cook just long enough to plump them, about 1 minute.
How to cook shrimp stock:
In a small saucepan heat olive oil and toss the shrimp shells in this until they turn pink.
Add sprig parsley, slice onion or a sliced scallion, using white and green parts, thyme, peppercorns, and water.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Strain and measure. There should be about 3 cups. Measure the liquid from the oysters and clams. If there is more than 1 cup, reduce the shrimp stock, uncovered, over brisk heat so that there will be 4 cups stock.
Cool the stock and stir in the oyster and clam liquid.
Season to taste with salt.
Votos Totales: 530
- Alimento base: Shellfish
- Dificultad: Easy
- Tiempo preparación: 40 min.
- Comensales: 6
- Estacionalidad: All year
- País: Peru
- Típica de: Peru
- Microondas: No
- Celiacos: No
- Afrodisiaca: No
- Thermomix: No
- Niños: No
- Light: No
- Vegetariana: No
- Especial fiestas
- Especial navidad
- Panal de albóndigas y patatas al horno
- Hojaldres de jamón, espinacas y queso
- Tortitas veganas de coliflor y cilantro
- Gelatina michoacana de la sra. regina
- Tronco toluqueño especial para celebración
- Fruit cake de toby's liquor and deli
- Rosca toluqueña de la sra. camila
- Ensalada cítrica de escarola con manzanas y vinagreta de jamaica y betabel
- Enchiladas gualalajareñas de la sra. lupita
- Croquetas de brenda's palace