TORTA CHILENA. Alimento Base: Flour, Mix the shortening, flour and salt. Add the water slowly until you obtain the dough. Let it rest for 10 minutes. When you are ready to roll the dough, beat the butter to soften it. When partially softened, work...
- 1 lb flour
- 1/4 ounce shortening
- 1/4 ounce salt
- 1/2 lb butter chilled
- 1/2 liter water
- 5 1/4 cups dulce de leche milk caramel sauce
- 3 ounces powdered sugar
Elaboración paso a paso
- Mix the shortening, flour and salt. Add the water slowly until you obtain the dough. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- When you are ready to roll the dough, beat the butter to soften it.
- When partially softened, work it in the flour and continue until butter is smooth and easy to spread but still cold.
- Lightly flour the dough and your hands. Form the dough into a rectangle.
- Fold the dough into three: fold the bottom third up to the middle; fold the top down to cover it (just as folding a business letter). Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Repeat this same process twice, including the resting periods.
- After the resting periods, unwrap the chilled dough and flour it sparingly top and bottom. Then roll the dough rapidly into a big rectangle. Divide the dough into three rectangles 18x12 each.
- Preheat the oven at 175C. Bake the rectangles in separate oven ready molds for 20 minutes each.
- Let them rest until room temperature and fill them with dulce de leche (see recipes on this site) between each of the rectangles.
- Decorate with powdered sugar over the torta.