SOPA PARAGUAYA (PARAGUAYAN CORNBREAD)
SOPA PARAGUAYA (PARAGUAYAN CORNBREAD). Alimento Base: Cornmeal, Heat half the butter in a skillet and cook the onions over moderate heat until tender but not brown. Set aside. Combine the remaining butter with the farmer
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 cup farmer cheese or 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated muenster cheese or 1 cup other mild cheese
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups corn kernels grated or 1 (16 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 6 eggs separated
Elaboración paso a paso
- Heat half the butter in a skillet and cook the onions over moderate heat until tender but not brown. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining butter with the farmer's or cottage cheese and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the Muenster, onions, cornmeal, corn, salt, milk, egg yolks, and mix thoroughly.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 10 inch by 13 inch (25 cm x 30 cm) baking pan and bake in a preheated 400F (200C) oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.