SOPA DE CANDIA CON MOJARRAS (OKRA AND FISH SOUP)
SOPA DE CANDIA CON MOJARRAS (OKRA AND FISH SOUP). Alimento Base: Okra, In a kettle combine the fish stock, onions, garlic, tomato, hot peppers, and cumin and allspice. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer it, covered, for 15 minutes over low heat....
- 2 quarts fish stock
- 1 large tomato peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound small yams peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 fillets pompano or tilapia
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 2 fresh hot peppers seeded and chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ripe plantains peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cumin and allspice
- 1/2 pound small fresh okra, quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Elaboración paso a paso
- In a kettle combine the fish stock, onions, garlic, tomato, hot peppers, and cumin and allspice.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer it, covered, for 15 minutes over low heat.
- To a saucepan of boiling salted water add the lemon juice and okra.
- Bring back to a boil, remove from the heat, drain the okra, and rinse it in cold water.
- Add the okra to the kettle with the yams and plantains and cook, covered, over very low heat for 1 hour.
- In a skillet heat the butter and saute the fish until the fillets are golden.
- Cut the fish into 1-inch pieces and add to the soup with the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 30 minutes longer.