SANCOCHO DE GALLINA (CHICKEN SOUP)
SANCOCHO DE GALLINA (CHICKEN SOUP) . Alimento Base: Chicken, Make a roux: Combine flour and butter and microwave for 30 seconds into a yellowish sludge. In one cup of chicken stock, simmer scallions, cilantro, and cumin for a few minutes. Set it...
- 1 1/2 qt chicken stock
- 1 yucca peeled and cut into 1"x1"x1" pieces
- 2 plantains peeled, halved, and sliced into thirds longitudinally
- 2 red potatoes peeling optional, cut into chunks
- 3 whole chicken breast skinned and quartered with bones left on
- Juice from two lemons
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp butter
- Salt and pepper
Elaboración paso a paso
- Make a roux: Combine flour and butter and microwave for 30 seconds into a yellowish sludge.
- In one cup of chicken stock, simmer scallions, cilantro, and cumin for a few minutes.
- Set it aside till cool, then process it into a smooth, green-colored flavoring element to be added to the final soup.
- In the remaining 1 and 1/4 quarts of chicken stock, simmer the quartered, skinned chicken breasts.
- Particulate scum which floats off the chicken breasts as they start to cook may be skimmed off with a ladle, and discarded.
- The chicken will take about an hour to cook.
- As the chicken starts to simmer, add cut-up, peeled yucca, and cut-up potatoes.
- You may continue to skim off scum after the yucca and potatoes are in the soup.
- About a half hour from completion time, add cut-up plantains.
- Plantains are more delicate, and require less cooking time than other elements of the soup.
- 10 minutes before completion time, add the processed scallions-cilantro-cumin, and the juice from 2 lemons.
- Add roux to "bind" the soup, stirring to mix it well.
- Make sure the potatoes and yucca are cooked to softness, and examine a piece of chicken to check for doneness.
- If overcooked, the yucca, potato, and plantain disintegrate, but their rich flavors remain.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.