POLLO EN PEPIAN DULCE (MAYAN CHICKEN FRICASSEE)
POLLO EN PEPIAN DULCE (MAYAN CHICKEN FRICASSEE). Alimento Base: Chicken, Put the chicken pieces into a heavy casserole, pour in the stock, adding a little more to cover, if necessary. Cover and simmer until almost tender, about 30 minutes. In a...
- 3 1/2 to 4- pound chicken cut into serving pieces
- 2 cups chicken stock
- About 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup pepitas Mexican pumpkin seeds
- 3 red bell peppers seeded and coarsely chopped, or 5 canned pimientos, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Seville bitter orange juice, or use two-thirds orange juice and one-third lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup seedless raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
Elaboración paso a paso
- Put the chicken pieces into a heavy casserole, pour in the stock, adding a little more to cover, if necessary.
- Cover and simmer until almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor grind the sesame and pumpkin seeds as fine as possible and shake through a sieve. Set aside.
- Put the peppers, tomatoes, onion, and garlic into a blender or food processor and reduce to a coarse puree.
- Mix the puree with the ground sesame and pumpkin seeds.
- Heat the lard or vegetable oil in a skillet, add the puree, and cook, over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes.
- Drain the chicken, reserve the stock, and return the chicken to the casserole.
- Add to the puree 1 cup of the stock, the Seville (bitter) orange juice, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix, and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and simmer gently until the chicken is tender, about 15 minutes. Add a little more stock if necessary. The sauce should be thick.
- Soak the raisins in cold water to cover for 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Heat a little butter in a skillet and saute the almonds until they are golden. Drain.
- Transfer the chicken and sauce to a warmed serving dish and sprinkle with the raisins and almonds.
- Serve with rice.