POLLO ARVEJADO (YOUNG CHICKEN STEW WITH PEAS AND TOMATOES)
POLLO ARVEJADO (YOUNG CHICKEN STEW WITH PEAS AND TOMATOES). Alimento Base: Chicken, Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chicken, in batches, and cook until golden brown all over, about 7 minutes. Remove the chicken to a...
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound fresh green peas shelled, or 1 (10-oz) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 3 to 4-lb chicken, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 8 serving pieces with all visible fat removed
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 cup dry white wine or rich chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Elaboración paso a paso
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the chicken, in batches, and cook until golden brown all over, about 7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a platter, and season with salt and black pepper.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons fat from the Dutch oven.
- Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrot, and paprika; cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season with oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Add the water, wine, and tomato paste; bring to a boil, stirring and scraping all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange the chicken over the vegetables, cover partially, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add the peas, and simmer uncovered until the chicken is very tender, 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley just before serving.