PERUVIAN CHICKEN STEW WITH SWEET POTATOES AND PEANUTS
PERUVIAN CHICKEN STEW WITH SWEET POTATOES AND PEANUTS . Alimento Base: Chicken, In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken thighs and slowly brown on all sides, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate. Add onion...
- 2 tbl vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lb chicken thighs on the bone, with skin removed
- 1 yellow onion halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 6 cup water OR canned chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts, ground medium-fine
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1 lb sweet potatoes peeled and cut into quarter inch sticks 2 inches long
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro optional
Elaboración paso a paso
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken thighs and slowly brown on all sides, about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add onion to pot and saute over low heat until softened, about 10 minutes; do not let onion brown.
- Return chicken thighs to pot. Add water, salt and cumin.Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, until chicken is very tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Stir in ground peanuts, cornmeal and allspice and cook 15 minutes, scraping bottom of pot occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Stir in sweet potato sticks and cook 15-20 minutes or until sweet potato is tender and mixture is very thick.
- If you like the flavor of cilantro, stir that in just before serving.
- Spoon stew into serving bowls.