LLAPINGACHOS (ECUADOREAN POTATO CAKES WITH PEANUT SAUCE)
LLAPINGACHOS (ECUADOREAN POTATO CAKES WITH PEANUT SAUCE). Alimento Base: Potatoes, Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces. Cover with cold water add salt and simmer until very tender. While potatoes boil, cook garlic and 1/3 cup scallions in 2...
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potato yellow fleshed
- 2 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/3 cup scallion plus extra 1/2 cup finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons annatto oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 2 cups muenster cheese coarsely grated
Elaboración paso a paso
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Cover with cold water add salt and simmer until very tender.
- While potatoes boil, cook garlic and 1/3 cup scallions in 2 tbs of annatto oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until softened about 2 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomato and cook for 2 minutes whilst stirring.
- Add milk and bring to a bare simmer, then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until well combined.
- Keep covered and warm off heat.
- Drain and mash potatoes.
- Cook remaining 1/2 cup of scallions with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper in 2 tbs of annatto oil until softened.
- Stir into potatoes along with the cheese.
- Form into 8 balls, flatten into a 3 inch patty.
- Heat 1 tbs annato oil in a non stick pan over medium high, then fry cakes in two batches turning over once until crusty both sides (about 6 mins a side).
- Gently reheat peanut sauce thinning with a little water to creamy consistency if needed.
- Serve with the potato cakes.