LAYERED MEAT PIE (CIPAILLE OR CIPÂTE)
LAYERED MEAT PIE (CIPAILLE OR CIPÂTE). Alimento Base: Chicken, Cut all the meats into 1-inch chunks. Place in a large bowl along with the onions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or overnight. Using a large casserole or cast iron Dutch...
- 2 lb boneless chicken use a combination of boneless breasts and thighs
- 2 lb lean stew beef
- 2 lb lean pork
- 4 onions coarsely chopped
- 1/4 lb salt pork thinly sliced
- 2 cups peeled cubed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon mixed spices use a combination of cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Pastry for a double crust 9-inch pie
Elaboración paso a paso
- Cut all the meats into 1-inch chunks. Place in a large bowl along with the onions.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or overnight.
- Using a large casserole or cast iron Dutch oven, layer the salt pork on the bottom.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place 1/3 of the meat cubes on top of the salt pork, then top the meats with 1/3 of the cubed potatoes.
- Season with salt, pepper and spice mixture.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle large enough to cover the above layers.
- Place the pastry round on top of the potatoes and cut a small round hole in the center.
- Repeat with 2 more layers of meat, potatoes and seasonings.
- Cover with the remaining pastry, cutting a small hole in the center.
- Carefully and slowly pour the chicken stock into the hole.
- Place a cover on the dish. Place in the oven for 45 minutes or until the liquid is simmering.
- Reduce heat to 250F and bake, covered, for 5 to 6 hours.