JAMAICAN CALLALOO PATTY
JAMAICAN CALLALOO PATTY. Alimento Base: Callaloo, Wash callaloo leaves. Cut up callaloo leaves in pieces. Sauté chopped onion, pepper and garlic in margarine. Add cut up callaloo leaves to a pan of water with a drop of oil and stir. Season with...
- 1 lb. callaloo
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 medium chopped onion
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 scotch bonnet hot pepper
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 oz vegetarian suet
- 4 cups flour
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup iced water
Elaboración paso a paso
- Wash callaloo leaves. Cut up callaloo leaves in pieces.
- Sauté chopped onion, pepper and garlic in margarine.
- Add cut up callaloo leaves to a pan of water with a drop of oil and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover saucepan and cook callalloo for 7 mins. Do not overcook.
- When cool use as filling for patty pastry.
- Pastry: Trim all skin and fatty membrane from suet and set overnight in freezer. Next day, with a very sharp knife shave suet as finely as possible.
- Combine salt and flour, then work in suet as you would shortening in plain pastry, cutting it in with two knives.
- Add iced water in sufficient amount to have a dough which can be rolled out.
- Form into a ball and with a rolling pin, pat gently, turning the dough over once or twice in order to have it all properly held together. Set overnight wrapped in wax paper in freezer.
- Next day, pull off enough dough (after defrosting) to roll into a circle the size of a breakfast saucer. Dip dough in flour before rolling. Roll quite thin and cut in a circle (use saucer for help).
- In the center of each circle place a spoonful of callaloo filling, fold dough over to form a crescent shape seal edges with egg white or by crimping the edge and folding dough slightly under. Do not prick the pastry.
- Bake on an ungreased tin sheet in a hot oven for about 35 minutes.