GUYANA BLACK CAKE
GUYANA BLACK CAKE. Alimento Base: Mixed fruit, Wash and dry the fruits, then grind or chop the fruits, nuts, and fruit peel together. Caramel: Heat the sugar and when melted, add the wine. Simmer until dark colour is obtained. Mix the wine and the...
- 1 1/2 lb. mixed dried fruit
- 2 oz. mixed peel
- 1 tsp. mixed spice
- 4 oz. chopped peanuts
- 8 oz. soft brown sugar
- 8 oz. margarine
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 8 oz. flour
- 1/2 bottle red wine and/or rum
- 1 lb. sugar for making caramel
- 2 tbsp. red wine for making caramel
Elaboración paso a paso
- Wash and dry the fruits, then grind or chop the fruits, nuts, and fruit peel together.
- Caramel: Heat the sugar and when melted, add the wine.
- Simmer until dark colour is obtained.
- Mix the wine and the rum and pour over the fruits.
- Leave to soak for a day or more (up to 3 months).
- Grease and doubly line an 8 inch cake pan.
- Cream the sugar and margarine.
- Add eggs one at a time (beaten or unbeaten).
- Add fruits and stir well.
- Add enough caramel to make it as dark as desired.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and powdered spice together.
- Add a little at a time and fold in.
- Mix to a soft dropping consistency using wine or rum.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake in a slow oven, 300 degrees F. for 2 hours on the middle shelf.
- Pour wine and rum over immediately after cake is baked. Repeat 3 or 4 times.