GUISO DE MAIZ (CORN STEW)
GUISO DE MAIZ (CORN STEW). Alimento Base: Corn, In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until fragrant, then fry the bacon until crisp. Reduce the heat to low, add the chorizos, onion, pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring, until...
- 2 tablespoons pure Spanish olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion finely chopped
- 1 cup drained and chopped canned whole tomatoes or prepared tomato sauce
- 1 medium-size all-purpose potato peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound bacon rind removed and finely diced
- 1 medium-size green or red bell pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 1 cup peeled and diced calabaza or Hubbard or butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 medium-size chorizos or other spicy sausage sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels from 8 large ears
Elaboración paso a paso
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until fragrant, then fry the bacon until crisp.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the chorizos, onion, pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sherry, stock, potato, and pumpkin and cook, covered, an additional 20 minutes.
- Add the corn, salt, and pepper, and cook, partially covered, until all the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Correct the seasonings and garnish with the parsley.
- Serve in warmed bowls.