GUATEMALAN PIPIAN. Alimento Base: Chicken, Place chicken pieces in Dutch oven. Add water to almost cover and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Cover and cook until chicken is just done, about 25 minutes. Set aside. (If there is too much liquid, drain it off.)...
- 2 chickens each cut into 4 equal parts
- Water as needed
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large Roma tomatoes roasted
- 1 onion roasted and sliced thickly
- 2 guajillo peppers stemmed seeded, toasted, and soaked in hot water
- 1/3 cup pepitoria green squash seeds toasted (available from Latino markets)
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds toasted
- 1 cinnamon stick 2" long
- 2 oz Mexican chocolate
- 3 tbl achiote paste
- 4 cup chicken stock
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 cup sweet vermouth
Elaboración paso a paso
- Place chicken pieces in Dutch oven.
- Add water to almost cover and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Cover and cook until chicken is just done, about 25 minutes. Set aside. (If there is too much liquid, drain it off.)
- Combine tomatoes, onion, peppers, pepitoria, sesame seeds, cinnamon stick, chocolate, achiote paste, chicken stock, 1 teaspoon salt and clove.
- Bring to boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Blend in a food processor or blender and strain through medium sieve.
- Taste for seasoning, and the sauce should not be too thick or too thin.
- Set aside. When ready to serve, add the vermouth to the chicken in the pot.
- Simmer 3 minutes, then add sauce and cook 5 minutes longer.