GIZZADA. Alimento Base: Coconut, Filling: Boil water and sugar together to make syrup (low heat). Add the grated coconut and nutmeg to the syrup. Stir the ingredients so it does not thicken. Boil for 15 minutes. Add the butter and stir ingredients...
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cups grated coconut
- 1 ½ lb. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 oz. butter
- 2 cups flour
- Ice water
- 1 tsp. shortening
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. salt
Elaboración paso a paso
- Filling: Boil water and sugar together to make syrup (low heat).
- Add the grated coconut and nutmeg to the syrup.
- Stir the ingredients so it does not thicken. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Add the butter and stir ingredients for another 6 minutes. Be sure the butter is not visible in the filling. Allow the filling to cool.
- Pastry: Sift flour and salt together. Cut the butter and shortening into small pieces, add to the flour along with the cold water. Make into pastry (dough).
- Place the pastry into a plastic wrapping or foil wrap. Put the pastry in the fridge for ½ an hour.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge. Use a rolling pin to roll the pastry on a cutting board to a ¼ inch thickness. Flour the board first.
- Cut circles in the pastry using an 8-oz cup/glass. Cut 16 circles from it.
- Pinch each of the pastry circles to form a casing to hold the filling. Pinch in a uniform pattern as this will give the decorated effect.
- Place the pastry on a greased tray and part-bake in the oven at about 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and then add the filling to the baked pastry.
- Bake the gizzadas for another 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool before serving.