GIAMBO. Alimento Base: Red snapper, Soak the salted beef overnight. Discard water. Place the beef in a heavy kettle with the ham hock, onions, parsley, carrots, bay leaf and celery. Bring to a brisk boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about one and...
- 1/2 lb. salted beef
- 2 quarts fresh water
- 1 ham hock
- 1 or 2 onions
- A few sprigs of parsley
- 1 or 2 carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 lb. red snapper fillets
- 2 lbs. okra washed and sliced
- A few sprigs crushed yerba di hole or fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 lb. cooked shrimp
Elaboración paso a paso
- Soak the salted beef overnight. Discard water.
- Place the beef in a heavy kettle with the ham hock, onions, parsley, carrots, bay leaf and celery.
- Bring to a brisk boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about one and a half hours, or until meat is tender.
- Place red snapper in the simmering kettle.
- After a few minutes test the fish with the tines of a fork, and remove from the broth when it flakes easily. Make bite-size chunks of the fillets.
- Remove the beef from the broth, cube and set aside with the fish.
- Strain the broth and return it to the fire. Discard the ham hock and vegetables.
- To the simmering broth add the okra, basil and pepper. Simmer until the okra is tender.
- With a lele stick, or its equivalent, a wire whisk, reduce the okra to a puree.
- Return the cubed beef and red snapper pieces to the kettle.
- Heat thoroughly and adjust seasonings.
- Garnish giambo with the cooked shrimp.