FRENCH CATALAN-STYLE LAMB SHOULDER (CORDERO AL ESTILO FRANCÉS - CATALÁN)
FRENCH CATALAN-STYLE LAMB SHOULDER (CORDERO AL ESTILO FRANCÉS - CATALÁN). Alimento Base: Lamb, Bring a medium pot of water to the boil and blanch the lemons for 2-3 minutes. Drain and then cut each lemon into 8 pieces lengthwise. Set aside. Season...
- 3 lemons
- 1 3 to 4 kilo lamb shoulder trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 cloves of garlic peeled
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 500 grams vine-ripe tomatoes peeled and seeded or 1 750 gram can of whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 750 ml bottle of sweet red sherry or ruby port
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-3 bay leaves
Elaboración paso a paso
- Bring a medium pot of water to the boil and blanch the lemons for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain and then cut each lemon into 8 pieces lengthwise. Set aside.
- Season the lamb generously with salt and pepper.
- Set a large heavy oblong roasting pan over two burners on the stove.
- Add the lamb, fatty side down and cook with no addition fat until browned, turning once.
- About 20 minutes in all.
- Remove the lamb and set aside.
- Pour off the excess fat and return the pan to the heat.
- Add the lemons to the roasting pan, cooking over medium heat for about 2 minutes all the while crushing the lemons with a wooden spoon and scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the garlic and cinnamon and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, thyme and bay leaves and cook for 1 minute more.
- Reduce the heat to simmer, add the lamb, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover tightly with foil or a lid and braise the lamb until tender, about 1 3/4 hour.
- Remove the thyme and cinnamon sticks before serving.