FLAN DE LECHE (CARAMEL CUSTARD)
FLAN DE LECHE (CARAMEL CUSTARD). Alimento Base: Eggs, Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the 1 cup sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir to dissolve the sugar. Place over medium heat and boil the sugar, without stirring, until it just...
- 1 cup sugar for caramel
- 1/4 cup water for caramel
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened, condensed milk
- 2 cups whole milk or water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
Elaboración paso a paso
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the 1 cup sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Place over medium heat and boil the sugar, without stirring, until it just starts to turn a honey brown, around 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the caramelized sugar from heat and pour into a 9-inch cake pan or in equal amounts into each of 6 individual ramekins, swirling to coat the bottom. You may not need all the sugar.
- Place the cake pan or ramekins in a baking pan large enough to hold them without touching.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, condensed milk, whole milk or water, vanilla and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth.
- Pour into the cake pan or into each of the ramekins.
- Fill the baking pan with enough warm water to come about 2/3 of the way up sides of the containers.
- Place in the oven and cook until a knife inserted into the centre of the custard comes out clean, anywhere from 45 minutes to over an hour. Do not overcook your flan or it may curdle.
- Remove the custard(s) from the water bath and chill well.
- Run a knife around the edges of the custard, invert over a serving dish and serve.