CHICKEN SOUP WITH YUCCA, PLANTAINS AND POTATOES
CHICKEN SOUP WITH YUCCA, PLANTAINS AND POTATOES. Alimento Base: Chicken, Rinse the chicken under cold running water. Put the chicken, water, half of the minced onions, 2 cloves garlic, and the salt and pepper in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil,...
- 3 1/2 lb chicken
- 3 quarts water
- 2 small yellow onions minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 3/4 lb yucca peeled
- 2 medium red-skinned potatoes cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 2 yellow plantains cut into 1/2-inch rounds, peeled
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium scallions trimmed and minced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
Elaboración paso a paso
- Rinse the chicken under cold running water.
- Put the chicken, water, half of the minced onions, 2 cloves garlic, and the salt and pepper in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, covered, over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer the chicken, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the stock to a large plate.
- Bone the chicken breasts and cut into bite-size chunks.
- Return the chunks of chicken breast to the pot.
- Reserve the rest of the chicken meat for another use.
- Cut the pieces of yucca in half lengthwise, cut away the fibrous core in the center of each piece with a paring knife, then cut the yucca into 1/2-inch chunks.
- Add the yucca, potatoes, the remaining onions and 2 cloves garlic, and the cumin to the stock.
- Bring to a boil, covered, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the plantains and lemon juice to the soup, and continue simmering until the plantains are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat, and stir in the scallions and cilantro.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, and serve at once.