CHAYOTE SOUP . Alimento Base: Chayote, Place the chicken breast in a pot of water and turn the heat to high. As the water begins to bubble slightly on the edges, turn the heat to low, salt lightly and poach the chicken until white and firm without...
- 1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breast
- Salt to taste
- 2 large chayotes about 1 1/4 pounds, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick. If chayotes are not available, substitute zucchini
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro optional, to garnish
- 1/2 small avocado diced (optional, to garnish)
Elaboración paso a paso
- Place the chicken breast in a pot of water and turn the heat to high. As the water begins to bubble slightly on the edges, turn the heat to low, salt lightly and poach the chicken until white and firm without ever letting the water reach a boil, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and let it rest until cool enough to handle. Pull the chicken apart with your fingers, shredding it as you do.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer the chayotes until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chayotes to a blender and blend, using about 1 cup of the cooking water so the blades turn well, until a smooth puree is formed.
- In a pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat, then add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the chicken and chayote mixture, season with 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper, and simmer, covered, until very hot, about 5 minutes.