CHAIRO PACEÑO (VEGETABLE AND MEAT STEW FROM LA PAZ)
CHAIRO PACEÑO (VEGETABLE AND MEAT STEW FROM LA PAZ). Alimento Base: Lamb, Pour the water in the pot in which chairo is to be prepared. Place the pot over a medium heat. As soon it is warm, add the meat and chalona. Before it begins to boil, stir...
- 8 cups of water
- 1/4 kilo of beef on the bone cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 kilo chalona dry and salty lamb meat, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup of peeled Lima beans
- 1/2 cup of peeled green peas
- 1/2 cup of peeled carrots cut into thin strips
- 4 cups of peeled potato cut into thin strips
- 1 soaked peeled cup of chuño (frozen potato), soaked in water one night before, then peeled, crushed and washed (to prevent bitterness)
- 1 cup peeled and cooked white corn
- 1 cup peeled and cooked wheat grains
- 2 spoonfuls oil
- 1 cup white onion cut into thin strips (do not wash)
- 2 spoonfuls ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon minced parsley to serve
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled oregano to serve
- 1 teaspoon of minced mint to serve
Elaboración paso a paso
- Pour the water in the pot in which chairo is to be prepared. Place the pot over a medium heat.
- As soon it is warm, add the meat and chalona.
- Before it begins to boil, stir and add salt. Let it cook for at least one hour.
- To this broth, add green beans, peas, carrots and potato. Let it boil for fifteen minutes.
- Then add chuño and let it boil for another five minutes.
- Add white corn and wheat. Let it boil until potato is cooked.
- In a small pan put oil and heat it at a medium temperature. Sauté the onion.
- Then add the cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano and black pepper; let it cook for ten minutes.
- Finally, add these spices to the chairo stew so that all the mixture cooks for ten more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the green onion, parsley, oregano and mint.
- Serve one piece of meat and one piece of chalona in each serving plate. Try to maintain the initial amount of broth.
- If necessary, add boiling water so that the stew does not get very thick.