CARAOTAS NEGRAS (VENEZUELAN BLACK BEANS)
CARAOTAS NEGRAS (VENEZUELAN BLACK BEANS). Alimento Base: Black beans, Place the beans in a large saucepan or bowl. Cover with tap water leaving at least an inch of water above the beans as they will swell. Add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda. Leave...
- 200 grams dried black beans
- Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- Pancetta or bacon rashers
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Fresh coriander
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce Salsa Inglesa
Elaboración paso a paso
- Place the beans in a large saucepan or bowl. Cover with tap water leaving at least an inch of water above the beans as they will swell. Add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda. Leave overnight.
- Before cooking, drain and rinse beans under the tap. Place in saucepan or pressure cooker and cover with fresh water. Bring to boil and boil vigorously for 10-15 minutes. Add no salt.
- Reduce heat and simmer until soft - 60 minutes (minimum) in saucepan, 45 minutes in pressure cooker.
- To make the sofrito used to flavour the beans finely chop onions and peppers.
- Dice pork into small cubes.
- Crush garlic cloves in mortar or garlic crusher.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add onions and when they start to brown add pork and peppers and garlic.
- Season with salt, pepper, oregano, a small pinch of cumin and Worcestershire sauce and when all ingredients are cooked remove from heat.
- When beans are cooked place some of the water and beans in a blender, add the cooked sofrito and blend until creamy. Pour back into beans and simmer to reduce and allow flavours to combine.
- Finely chop coriandor and add to beans just before serving, stir through.