ARROZ CON POLLO CHAPINA (GUATEMALA STYLE CHICKEN AND RICE)
ARROZ CON POLLO CHAPINA (GUATEMALA STYLE CHICKEN AND RICE). Alimento Base: Chicken, In a large skillet brown the chicken in the oil over medium heat for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and the black pepper. Remove the chicken and set aside....
- 3 lb chicken pieces skin and fat discarded
- 1 tbl corn oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic chopped fine
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe tomato
- 1 1/2 cup raw rice
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup stuffed green olives
- 1 tbl capers
- 2 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup sweet red pimiento cut into strips
- 1 hard boiled egg sliced
- 2 tbl grated Parmesan cheese
Elaboración paso a paso
- In a large skillet brown the chicken in the oil over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and the black pepper.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In the same skillet with the chicken fat, fry the onion, garlic and tomato for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes more.
- Add the carrots, olives and capers and mix everything together.
- Pour in the broth and chicken pieces.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover skillet and simmer until broth has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Add the green peas. Cover skillet with aluminum foil and punch 8 holes in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in a 300F oven for 30 minutes.
- Fluff up the mixture once or twice during the baking time.
- Serve warm. Decorate the surface with the pimiento strips and egg slices and sprinkle with the cheese.
- The rice should be dry, loose and not sticky.
- Serve with fried ripe plantain slices, a salsa picante and pickled vegetables.