ARROZ CON MARISCOS (PERUVIAN RICE WITH SHELLFISH)
ARROZ CON MARISCOS (PERUVIAN RICE WITH SHELLFISH). Alimento Base: Shellfish, Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onion, garlic, and pepper strips until the onion is soft. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the onion mixture to a casserole. There...
- 1/2 pound medium-sized shrimps about 18, shelled and deveined (reserve shells for shrimp stock)
- 1/2 pound scallops if small, left whole; if large, halved
- 12 cherrystone or littleneck clams
- 12 oysters
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 fresh hot peppers preferably red, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 or 2 tablespoons fresh coriander cilantro, chopped
- 4 cups shrimp stock see the recipe below
- Shrimp stock ingredients:
- Shrimp shells
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 slice onion or a sliced scallion
- 1 spring thyme or 1/8 teaspoon dried
- 3 or 4 peppercorns
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup liquid from the oysters and clams
- Salt to taste
Elaboración paso a paso
- Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onion, garlic, and pepper strips until the onion is soft. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the onion mixture to a casserole.
- There should be about 2 tablespoons oil left in the skillet. Add a little more if necessary. Add the rice and saute until the rice has absorbed the oil, taking care not to let it brown.
- Transfer the rice to a casserole. Add the shrimp stock, bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and all the liquid absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Add the coriander and the shrimps, scallops, and clams, folding them well into the rice. Cook, covered, over low heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the shrimps have turned pink and lost their translucent look.
- Add the oysters, folding them into the rice and cook just long enough to plump them, about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
- How to cook shrimp stock:
- In a small saucepan heat olive oil and toss the shrimp shells in this until they turn pink.
- Add sprig parsley, slice onion or a sliced scallion, using white and green parts, thyme, peppercorns, and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Strain and measure. There should be about 3 cups. Measure the liquid from the oysters and clams. If there is more than 1 cup, reduce the shrimp stock, uncovered, over brisk heat so that there will be 4 cups stock.
- Cool the stock and stir in the oyster and clam liquid.
- Season to taste with salt.