AREPAS DE CHOCLO (FRESH CORN TORTILLAS)
AREPAS DE CHOCLO (FRESH CORN TORTILLAS). Alimento Base: Corn, Place the milk and the corn kernels in a blender and pulse briefly until the corn is coarsely ground. Pour the corn/milk mixture into a saucepan and add the butter. Heat over medium heat...
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels from about 3 ears of sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups masarepa precooked corn meal
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or other firm, salted fresh white cheese, like farmer's cheese
- Salt to taste
- Butter for sautéing arepas
- Extra cheese for serving
Elaboración paso a paso
- Place the milk and the corn kernels in a blender and pulse briefly until the corn is coarsely ground.
- Pour the corn/milk mixture into a saucepan and add the butter.
- Heat over medium heat until milk just comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Add the masarepa to a large heat resistant bowl.
- Whisk in the crumbled cheese.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the masarepa, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Continue to stir mixture until it is cool enough to handle, then knead gently with your hands until you have a smooth homogenous dough.
- Season with salt to taste and knead.
- Shape the arepas: take about 1/4 cup of the dough and form it into a ball.
- Flatten between your palms into a pancake shape, smoothing cracked edges with your fingers.
- Flatten pancake until it's about 1/3 inch thick and about 4 inches in diameter.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Cook arepas in batches until golded brown and crispy on both sides - about 4 minutes a side.
- Top arepas with a thin slice of farmers cheese while still hot, or place a slice of cheese between two arepas.
- Serve warm.