TORTA DE PLATANO MADURO (RIPE PLANTAIN CAKE)
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 2 plantain, very ripe, peeled and cut in half crosswise and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups queso blanco, grated or grated muenster cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 egg white
- 3 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon flour or dried breadcrumbs
In a heavy 8 to 10 inch skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over moderate heat. When the foam subsides, drop in the sliced plantains and cook, turning frequently, until the slices are golden brown on both sides. Transfer the plantains to a double thickness of paper towels to drain.
In a small bowl, mix the grated cheese, sugar and cinnamon and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with a whisk or a rotary or electric beater until they are stiff enough to form unwavering peaks on the beater.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until they are thick and lemon colored, then with a spatula fold the whites into the yolks.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and sides of a deep 1 quart baking dish or mold, then sprinkle in 1 tablespoon of flour or bread crumbs, tipping the dish to spread the flour or crumbs as evenly as possible. Turn the dish over and rap it sharply to remove any excess.
Ladle about a quarter of the egg mixture into the dish, and spread it with the back of a spoon. Cover with a layer of plantains using about one third of the slices.
Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the cheese mixture and dot with 1 tablespoon of butter. Repeat the layers two more times, ending with the egg mixture.
Dot with the last tablespoon of butter and place in the middle of the oven. Bake for 35 minutes.
Serve hot directly from the baking dish, or let the cake cool for 5 minutes or so and unmold it onto a platter in the following fashion: Run a knife around the edge of the dish and dip the bottom in hot water for a few seconds. Cover the dish with an inverted platter and, grasping dish and platter together, turn them over.
Total Votes: 137
- Main ingredient: Plantain
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation time: 70 min.
- Number of diners: 8
- Season: All year
- Country: Venezuela
- Typical of: Venezuela
- Microwave: No
- Celiac: No
- Aphrodisiac: No
- Thermomix: No
- Children: No
- Light: No
- Vegetarian: Yes
- Pollo en salsa de ciruela de angamacutiro
- Pollo en mole verde michoacano
- Pollo en mole rojo sencillo michoacano
- Pollo en escabeche rojo
- Pollo en arteza de sahuayo
- Pierna navideña de jiquilpan
- Pierna de carnero michoacano
- Pichones en caldillo de piñones
- Pescados blancos revueltos de queso y empapelados
- Pescado en birria de michoacán