LECHON ASADO PUERTORRIQUENO (PUERTO RICAN ROASTED SUCKLING PIG)
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves or to taste, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 cup corn oil
- 1 10 to 15-pound suckling pig, cleaned and ready to cook
- Extra corn oil for basting
- 1 orange, optional
Combine the garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and oregano with the oil.
Wash and dry the pig thoroughly. Marinate it in the garlic-and-oil mixture for a few hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Set the pig in a large roasting pan. Insert a ball made of aluminum foil into the pig's mouth. Fold the hind legs under the belly and tie them in place. Cover the ears with small pieces of foil. Bake for 3 to 3-1/2 hours, basting occasionally with corn oil, until the leg juices run clear when pricked with a fork.
To serve, transfer the pig to a serving tray and insert the orange into its mouth.
Let the pig rest for 10 to 20 minutes before you carve the meat.
Total Votes: 197
- Main ingredient: Suckling pig
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation time: 200 min.
- Number of diners: 10
- Season: All year
- Country: Puerto Rico
- Typical of: Puerto Rico
- Microwave: No
- Celiac: No
- Aphrodisiac: No
- Thermomix: No
- Children: No
- Light: No
- Vegetarian: No
- Pollo en salsa de ciruela de angamacutiro
- Pollo en mole verde michoacano
- Pollo en mole rojo sencillo michoacano
- Pollo en escabeche rojo
- Pollo en arteza de sahuayo
- Pierna navideña de jiquilpan
- Pierna de carnero michoacano
- Pichones en caldillo de piñones
- Pescados blancos revueltos de queso y empapelados
- Pescado en birria de michoacán