CARAOTAS NEGRAS (VENEZUELAN BLACK BEANS)
- 200 grams dried black beans
- Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- Pancetta or bacon rashers
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Fresh coriander
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce (Salsa Inglesa)
Place the beans in a large saucepan or bowl. Cover with tap water leaving at least an inch of water above the beans as they will swell. Add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda. Leave overnight.
Before cooking, drain and rinse beans under the tap. Place in saucepan or pressure cooker and cover with fresh water. Bring to boil and boil vigorously for 10-15 minutes. Add no salt.
Reduce heat and simmer until soft - 60 minutes (minimum) in saucepan, 45 minutes in pressure cooker.
To make the sofrito used to flavour the beans finely chop onions and peppers.
Dice pork into small cubes.
Crush garlic cloves in mortar or garlic crusher.
Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add onions and when they start to brown add pork and peppers and garlic.
Season with salt, pepper, oregano, a small pinch of cumin and Worcestershire sauce and when all ingredients are cooked remove from heat.
When beans are cooked place some of the water and beans in a blender, add the cooked sofrito and blend until creamy. Pour back into beans and simmer to reduce and allow flavours to combine.
Finely chop coriandor and add to beans just before serving, stir through.
Total Votes: 108
- Main ingredient: Black beans
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation time: 90 min.
- Number of diners: 6
- Season: All year
- Country: Venezuela
- Typical of: Venezuela
- Microwave: No
- Celiac: No
- Aphrodisiac: No
- Thermomix: No
- Children: No
- Light: No
- Vegetarian: No
- Gallo en licor salvadoreño (gallo en chicha salvadoreño)
- Fruit salad with frozen yoghurt
- Escabeche de pollo (chicken escabeche)
- Ensalada de repollo y atun (tuna and cabbage salad)
- Ensalada de chayote (vegetable pear salad)
- Empanadas (cheese and bean turnovers)
- Empanadas de pina (pineapple turnovers)
- Empanadas de chiverre (winter squash turnovers)
- Dulce de ayote (sweet crookneck squash)