CARAOTAS NEGRAS (VENEZUELAN BLACK BEANS)
- 200 grams dried black beans
- Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- Pancetta or bacon rashers
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Fresh coriander
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce (Salsa Inglesa)
Place the beans in a large saucepan or bowl. Cover with tap water leaving at least an inch of water above the beans as they will swell. Add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda. Leave overnight.
Before cooking, drain and rinse beans under the tap. Place in saucepan or pressure cooker and cover with fresh water. Bring to boil and boil vigorously for 10-15 minutes. Add no salt.
Reduce heat and simmer until soft - 60 minutes (minimum) in saucepan, 45 minutes in pressure cooker.
To make the sofrito used to flavour the beans finely chop onions and peppers.
Dice pork into small cubes.
Crush garlic cloves in mortar or garlic crusher.
Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add onions and when they start to brown add pork and peppers and garlic.
Season with salt, pepper, oregano, a small pinch of cumin and Worcestershire sauce and when all ingredients are cooked remove from heat.
When beans are cooked place some of the water and beans in a blender, add the cooked sofrito and blend until creamy. Pour back into beans and simmer to reduce and allow flavours to combine.
Finely chop coriandor and add to beans just before serving, stir through.
Total Votes: 307
- Main ingredient: Black beans
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation time: 90 min.
- Number of diners: 6
- Season: All year
- Country: Venezuela
- Typical of: Venezuela
- Microwave: No
- Celiac: No
- Aphrodisiac: No
- Thermomix: No
- Children: No
- Light: No
- Vegetarian: No
- Pollo en salsa de ciruela de angamacutiro
- Pollo en mole verde michoacano
- Pollo en mole rojo sencillo michoacano
- Pollo en escabeche rojo
- Pollo en arteza de sahuayo
- Pierna navideña de jiquilpan
- Pierna de carnero michoacano
- Pichones en caldillo de piñones
- Pescados blancos revueltos de queso y empapelados
- Pescado en birria de michoacán