CHICKEN SOUP WITH YUCCA, PLANTAINS AND POTATOES
- 3 1/2 lb chicken
- 3 quarts water
- 2 small yellow onions, minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3/4 lb yucca, peeled
- 2 medium red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 2 yellow plantains, cut into 1/2-inch rounds, peeled
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium scallions, trimmed and minced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
Rinse the chicken under cold running water.
Put the chicken, water, half of the minced onions, 2 cloves garlic, and the salt and pepper in a large stockpot.
Bring to a boil, covered, over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer the chicken, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove the chicken from the stock to a large plate.
Bone the chicken breasts and cut into bite-size chunks.
Return the chunks of chicken breast to the pot.
Reserve the rest of the chicken meat for another use.
Cut the pieces of yucca in half lengthwise, cut away the fibrous core in the center of each piece with a paring knife, then cut the yucca into 1/2-inch chunks.
Add the yucca, potatoes, the remaining onions and 2 cloves garlic, and the cumin to the stock.
Bring to a boil, covered, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Add the plantains and lemon juice to the soup, and continue simmering until the plantains are tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove the soup from the heat, and stir in the scallions and cilantro.
Taste and adjust the seasoning, and serve at once.
Votos Totales: 150
Serves 8 to 10 as a first course and 4 to 5 as a main entree.
- Alimento base: Chicken
- Dificultad: Easy
- Tiempo preparación: 140 min.
- Comensales: 5
- Estacionalidad: All year
- País: Colombia
- Típica de: Colombia
- Microondas: No
- Celiacos: No
- Afrodisiaca: No
- Thermomix: No
- Niños: No
- Light: No
- Vegetariana: No
- Arroz guanipense
- Arroz el llanero
- Arroces con vegetales
- Aritos de cebollas de mapire
- Arepitas canaima
- Arepitas bucanero
- Arepitas del puerto la cruz
- Arepitas de anís abombadas
- Arepas de sotillo
- Arepas tigrenses